Friday 6 July 2018

What You Should Know About Sexuality | Sexuality Series


Hi babes, welcome back to The Fashion Femme, Welcome to a new series on this blog, #SexualitySeries! In this series I will be discussing topics such as LGBTQ issues, coming out, online dating, relationships, orgasms, toys, safe sex and contraception and more. I really wanted to write a really inclusive series on this blog talking about taboo but important topics. This is based on my own experiences and opinions and also a lot of research I've done. I'm so excited for this series! So to start off,  here is everything you should know about sexuality...

- How someone dresses doesn't define their sexuality.
Obviously this is the whole title of this blog, there are plenty of femme lesbians/queer and bi women, and absolutely everything in between. And of course, straight women can rock the fuck out of a suit, (let's seriously talk about Scarlett Johansson in a suit.) So it is important to remember to express yourself however you want, the world is full of so many diverse types of people. Don't ever think that you're not queer enough because you're feminine.

- Labels aren't always important
I think this is a lot easier said than done, a lot of people, both gay and straight, say labels aren't important, but don't really practice what they preach. Personally, I've kind of given up labelling myself, although I'm attracted to women like 85% of the time, I've had crushes on all genders and think I could fall for anyone. If you find labels such as 'Gay' 'Straight' 'Bisexual' and even 'Pansexual' restricting, you really don't need to use any of them! Just be you, you are amazing.



- Sexuality is SO fluid
This isn't the case for everyone, of course there people who are exclusively hetrosexual and exclusively homosexual, however! For many people, things can change. 

- Girls can hurt you just as much as boys, and domestic violence can affect anyone
Ever seen that post, 'if your boyfriend doesn't treat you right, there's a gay girl that will?' Well that is seriously untrue. Queer women definitely can experience hurt and abuse and it's important to not erase that. According to charity Stonewall, one in four lesbian and bi women have experienced domestic violence in a relationship or by a family member, this rises to almost half (49%) or gay and bi men. You should definitely be aware of the fact that girls can play you about, girls can be fuckboys, girls can break your heart.


- Gender and Sexuality are two different things.
So there's a lot of people that don't really understand. So if someone is a transgender woman, they are a woman, plain and simple. So they may be straight, gay, bisexual, or anything in between, not necessarily attracted to women just because they are trans. If cisgender* men and women can be attracted can be either men or women or both, it's the same for trans and non-binary people. Cause that's just how it is.


- Go to pride, it's an amazing experience.
As you tell by reading this blog, I may be a little bit excited for pride. Just a little bit, I think. If you've never experienced Pride, it's like gay disneyland/ gay christmas/ all my personal christmases come at once. Especially in a big city. In the parades, you see so many different types of people celebrating who they are. Honestly makes me a bit emotional, but I am a big flannel and you're probably not as bad as me. I disagree with people saying it's just a political protest, it's also a big party that brings the community and beyond together. There's nothing wrong with that. Who doesn't love drinking dark fruits at 3pm and dancing to Abba? Not many people, is my answer to that.

*Cisgender= Someone who identifies with their gender at birth. So, the opposite of transgender.

Hope you enjoyed the start of this series. Please let me know what you thought and if you have any ideas of topics you'd like me to cover! This blog is my little child and I love to watch it grow. 


SHARE:

2 comments

  1. All of these things are so important to highlight - especially during pride month! Lovely post Melissa x

    Elle

    www.ellemaryjane.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Loved this post, it was Pride in London this weekend and honestly the atmosphere was unreal!

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig