Wednesday 12 June 2019

Things I Learnt In My Second Year Of Uni


Hi babes,
So my second year is over and I feel like it has gone way too fast! It feels like not long ago I was in college, looking around universities during the open days and being so nervous and worrying about personal statement. Now I'll be graduating in just over a year... eek! It really does go quicker than first year!

Here is everything I learnt...
  • A degree is seriously hard work
The first year of your degree normally doesn't count, so when second year rolls around you realise just how much work to put in to complete a degree, it really freaks you out at first! You get so much coursework and so much to learn and revise if you're doing exams. If you miss too many lectures it can be so hard to catch up, and you can get stuck in a vicious cycle of missing uni to catch up on uni, which, take it from me, it EXTREMELY stressful. I'm not saying you need to have 100% perfect attendance (I would be a huge hypocrite if I said that.) Just try and attend as much as you can, escpically lectures for modules you find difficult, and ask your lecturers for help, something I definitely should have done more of this year. Try and get in the library as much as you can, but have breaks and take time out for yourself, too.
A trend board I did as part of a portfolio assignment
  • Say yes to things more, make the most of opportunities
When your at uni there are just so many opportunities offered to you, such as volunteering, being part of societies and sports teams, being a course rep, going on trips, and a lot more. I definitely wish I would have taken up more of these opportunities, uni is all about making new experiences that may not be offered to you later on in life. Just remember not to take on too much or you may not be able to fit it in to your timetable. You don't to overwhelm yourself, or have so many responsibilities that your grades suffer. The best things I did were joining the Women's Football team, and going on tour to Croatia. Wish I'd have done some non football related things though!

Pool party in Porec, Croatia on sports club tour

  • You won't be able to go out as much as you did in first year
In all honestly I wasn't out all the time in first year, because I wasn't close with my flatmates and I'm quite a socially shy person so I didn't make that many friends. However, I had to say no to a lot of nights out in the last year (probably should have said no to more, tbh.) It sucks to see your friends posting on their stories about how much fun they're having, but you have to remember that when you've got your degree everything will be worth it in the end.

  • Apply for internships and work experience
This is a big one. It's good to get some experience on your CV before you graduate, so get applying and find some experience during the summer or for a full year if your course offers a placement year. (This is an indirect to me. Melissa get some work experience)

  • Take time out for things you enjoy
This is something I definitely need to work on, I'm very passionate about photography, sewing, styling and blogging and other creative things outside my course but I've not really been putting in enough time for those things. It's hugely important to make time for the things you love, a lot of this is just time management and getting your assignments done in plenty of time so you've got more time for hobbies. Then I can spend more time with my little baby (this blog)



Hope you enjoyed this post, let me know what you thought! Are you at university, or will you be starting in September? I'm spending a lot of time at the moment watching the women's world cup games so do follow me on twitter (@melissajordank) for my hilarious and sassy commentary. See you next time,
SHARE:

1 comment

  1. I couldn't agree more with this, I regret not making the most of the extra time during first year and trying out new things - second year was a lot more work! I'm going into my fourth and final year in September and I'm not sure I'm prepared for how stressful it's going to get! Haha, loved this! x

    Evie x | www.eviejayne.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Blogger Template Created by pipdig